Wednesday, August 11, 2010

An Educated Artist

Right now I am on a Plane to Sapporo for our second to last concert. It’s hard to believe that our tour is coming to an end. This month has flown by, and I guess it goes to show that time flies when you’re having fun. It feels like just yesterday that we arrived to the Tokyo Dome Hotel, where we were greeted by members of the Min-On Concert Association.

I have learned a lot about myself and my voice on this trip; I learned that I am capable of absorbing a new culture, and embracing it instead of combating it. Japanese culture is different, but that doesn’t mean you can’t learn to love it. Especially coming from New York City, it’s very interesting to see and experience the minimalist, yet beautiful culture of Japan. I especially loved going to the Zen Garden and Buddhist temples.

I have also learned and experienced first hand how your voice is an instrument, and just like all instruments it must be maintained and taken great care of to sound as pristine as possible. If you don’t take care of it, it will degrade. I have been lucky enough to have not lost my voice during our month here, but on certain days that I felt it going, I had to adjust my daily routine to bring it back to 100%. That involves getting extra sleep, rest throughout the day, and not talking as much and as heavily as usual.

It’s amazing that our tour in Japan 2010 is almost over, but it has changed me as a person, and is an experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. Thank you to Min-On again - We love you! Also thanks to all the staff and parents supporting us back home and here in Japan. See you in New York! Sayonara!

-Christopher H.

No comments:

Post a Comment